The Association of Dominican Cigar Manufacturers (Procigar) has cancelled its annual Procigar Festival due to safety restrictions in the Dominican Republic.
Procigar said on its website the decision to cancel came after discussing the issue with members, sponsors and attendees, and “considering the significant impact of international travel at this time.”
“We have made the difficult decision to cancel our Procigar Festival 2021, we know that this decision is disappointing, but we hope that everyone can understand that right now our priority is to keep the collaborators and participants of the event safe,” Hendrik Kelner, president of Procigar, said in a statement.
The group has scheduled its 2022 festival for February.
Numerous cigar festivals, conventions and meetings have been cancelled in the past year, most recently the InterTabac trade fair in Germany.
Several other events, including the Tobacco Plus Expo B2B trade fair on May 12-14 in Las Vegas and the Premium Cigar Association’s annual convention on July 9-13, also in Vegas, are so far moving forward.